Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Handyman's Birthday!

 Once again, given free reign on this...a birthday cake for a true handyman's 75th birthday!  The only request was that the cake be sugar free as the birthday boy is diabetic.  I made an executive decision and made the small 6" tier on the top sugar free, and made the bottom 9" tier "full" of sugar, which worked out just fine!
 The cake is completely edible with a coat of buttercream covering it and all accents made of fondant.  I cut strips of yellow fondant and hand painted them to give them the look of a measuring tape.  I typically like to finish cakes by covering the cake board in fondant and wrapping it with ribbon.  For this one I wanted to give the illusion of hardwood, so I used brown fondant, lightly cut into it in strips and painted on some brown to give it the wood grain look.
The hammer featured the guest of honour's name, as if it was his own hammer resting on top of this cake!  I then sprinkled some graham crumbs on top to look like sawdust.  That was the finishing touch!  I was very happy with this cake and was glad to hear that Albert was too!

No comments:

Post a Comment